Deborah Stein, MD

Deborah Stein, MD

Deborah M. Stein MD, MPH, earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from Cornell University, her Medical Degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine and her Master of Public Health from Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health with certificates in both Injury Control and Heath Policy.  She completed her general surgery residency at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine and a Fellowship in Trauma/Surgical Critical Care at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.  She is Board Certified in General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care and has Subspecialty Certification from the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties in Neurocritical Care.  She is a fellow in the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Critical Care Medicine

Upon completion of her fellowship in 2004, Dr. Stein joined the faculty at the University of Maryland School of Medicine as an Assistant Professor.  In 2009, she was promoted to Associate Professor and received tenure in 2013.  She was promoted to Professor with tenure in 2015.  In 2016 Dr. Stein was named the R Adams Cowley Professor in Shock and Trauma.   Since completing fellowship, Dr. Stein has served in a number of roles at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and currently serves as the Medical Director for Neurotrauma Critical Care, Medical Director for the Trauma Resuscitation Unit, Co-Director of the Neurotrauma Center for the State of Maryland, and as the Chief of Trauma at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. 

Dr. Stein has authored 100 + peer-reviewed articles and 13 book chapters.  Her national service includes active participation in major trauma, critical care, and surgical societies including serving as the Director for Professional Development and Director-at-Large on the Board of Directors for the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma as well as serving on committees for the American College of Surgeons, the Association for the Surgery of Trauma, and the Neurocritical Care Society.  She also serves on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery and is an Examination Consultant for the American Board of Surgery.  Dr. Stein’s research interests are in the fields of traumatic brain injury, hemorrhagic shock, biomechanics of injury, and functional outcomes following traumatic injury.  She is currently Principal Investigator for five federally funded grants and serves as Co- Investigator for an additional four federally funded projects.  She is very involved in medical student activities serving as a mentor and advisor to several students each year at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.  Additionally, Dr. Stein mentors numerous residents and fellows each year and has been the recipient of numerous teaching awards.

PubMed Articles:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Deborah+Stein

Related Videos