What is Essure?
Essure is an FDA approved sterilization procedure for women. There are no incisions. Instead, spring-like coils called micro-inserts are inserted through the body’s natural pathways (vagina, cervix, and uterus) and into the fallopian tube.
Is Essure right for me?
• The Essure procedure can be the right choice for you if:
• You do not want a surgery that involves incisions
• You want a birth control that is permanent
• You want a hormone-free method of birth control
• Your partner does not want to have a vasectomy
• You don’t want to worry about an unexpected pregnancy
• You are overweight or underweight and surgery is risky
• You are concerned about the risks of general anesthesia
• You had an endometrial ablation and should not risk pregnancy
What are the Benefits of Essure?
• It is 99.80% effective based on a 4-year follow-up.
• The procedure takes very little time out of a woman’s day (procedure is roughly 35 minutes).
• Most women return to their normal activities within one day.
• Unlike many other temporary methods of birth control, the Essure micro-inserts do not contain silicone or release hormones into the body.